My project is located in a country in the list of embargoed countries. Am I eligible to submit?

Eligibility of projects in sanctioned nations varies by country. Embargo policies are constantly changing. In some cases (e.g., Iran), applications are allowed, but additional permissions will be required at the time of award. Eligibility for projects in other sanctioned countries will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please email the CNIHR Program (cnihr@uw.edu) with your name, degrees, institution, and location for further clarification regarding your country’s eligibility. Applicants who are citizens of a sanctioned country, but who are performing their projects in a country without sanctions, are eligible to submit without further permissions.

Are postdoctoral fellows eligible?

A postdoctoral fellow is eligible only with written commitment from her/his institution at the time of the Concept Proposal submission of a faculty appointment (or equivalent) at a qualifying institution by the time of the Full Application submission.

If I’ve had a K award in HIV/AIDS research, am I eligible?

No. To be eligible, applicants cannot have had any grant or contract in HIV/AIDS research.

Are applicants who have previously been co-investigators/authors on an HIV research project or publication eligible?

No. To be eligible, applicants cannot have had any grant or contract in HIV/AIDS research.

If I’ve received pilot funding for an HIV/AIDS research project from a nongovernmental source, am I eligible?

No. Applicants cannot have had any grant or contract in HIV/AIDS research.

My discipline is not listed in the eligibility criteria; does this mean I am not eligible?

Disciplines other than the ones mentioned can be accepted. Please contact us if yours is not on the list.

I received a doctoral degree more than 10 years ago, but I received recently another degree (MPH, etc). Am I eligible?

No. Applicants must have received their doctoral degrees or completed their residencies in the past 10 years.

Must I have a CFAR Mentor to submit the Concept Proposal?

No. A CFAR Mentor is required only for the Full Application submission stage.

How do I fill out the biosketch?

Detailed instructions on filling out NIH SF424 (R&R) instructions are available online at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/424/index.htm

How do I find my organization’s DUNS number?

Contact your office of sponsored research to find the number.

If you are registered in Commons, you can also log in to the eRA Commons and follow these steps:

  • Select the Institution Profile tab.
  • Select the Basic tab.
  • The DUNS # will be located within the Basic Institution Information section.

Visit the Dun and Bradstreet website at http://mycredit.dnb.com/search-for-duns-number/ to see if your organization already has a DUNS number.

If I do not have a DUNS number, how do I obtain one?

To obtain a DUNS number, please visit the Dun & Bradstreet website at http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform/displayHomePage.do

Do I need an eRA Commons account?

Signing Officials and Principal Investigators from applicant organizations do need an eRA Commons account, as do others who may be assisting in the process of grant application submission.

How do I register my organization/institution with eRA Commons?

Only individuals with legal signing authority—the Signing Official—can register their organization in Commons. The Signing Official typically has a title such as: President, CEO, Executive Director, Dean, Chancellor, Provost, Owner, or Partner. Please note both the applicant organization and the Principal Investigator (through the Signing Official) must register in eRA Commons. [Remember that users MUST also be registered with GRANTS.GOV before they can successfully submit applications to NIH.(http://www.grants.gov/web/grants/register.html)].

  • Applicant organizations/institutions should complete the Online Registration https://commons.era.nih.gov/commons/registration/registrationInstructions.jsp form for eRA Commons.
  • Print and fax the registration form: the Signing Official (SO) must sign, date, and fax the registration to the number listed on the form, which is 301-451-5675. This step must be completed before NIH is able to process the registration.
  • The SO will receive an email to verify the email address indicated in the registration. The SO must click on the hyperlink contained in the email.
  • Once the registration has been processed, the SO will receive an approval email from NIH; this email will contain a link to information that must be verified as correct before the confirmation process is completed.
  • The SO will then receive two emails: One will contain the user names created during the registration process; the second email will contain the temporary password(s) for the created accounts.
  • The SO can then log in to his/her eRA Commons account at https://commons.era.nih.gov/commons/
  • How does a Principal Investigator (PI) get registered in eRA Commons?

Once the applicant organization is registered in eRA Commons, the organization’s Signing Official can register the PI by creating an account with the PI authority role. When a Signing Official creates an account for a PI, the PI will receive an email to go to the Commons to verify the PI’s profile information. (This email is sent only when the PI has prior NIH support; otherwise, the account is created right away.)

If I am an individual Research Fellow, how do I register in the eRA Commons?

Please see NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-07-003 Guidance to Applicant Organizations about Registering Research Fellows in the eRA Commons